When it comes to décor, there are many styles that one can opt for. One of these styles is the contemporary décor. This simply refers to the most recent trends in the décor industry. The contemporary look is often seen as simple,elegant and less cluttered. There is a lot of order when it comes to contemporary décor.
This simply refers to the most recent trends in the décor industry. The contemporary look is often seen as simple,elegant and less cluttered. There is a lot of order when it comes to contemporary décor.
This type of decor is always changing since there are new pieces and materials coming up frequently. This style is always evolving and can thus be mixed with other decor style to achieve different moods in a given space.
Characteristics of Contemporary decor
- This décor style is very minimalistic. There is less clutter and the space size looks enhanced.
- The main colors used are neutral. Even if there is another bold color, the neutrals create a blended look that speaks of sophistication. The furniture pieces are also made with neutral colors and specific fabrics that further enhance the look.
- Pieces in contemporary decors usually stand on their own. This gives them individuality, including the pieces of furniture.
- This style employs the use of lines and geometric shapes for a uniquelook. Items such as portraits, cushions, wall art among others, usually come in squares, triangles and rectangles.
- Colorful prints and styles should be avoided for this décor style. They create a lot of noise in a space and remove the sophistication element of contemporary décor.
While there are no fixed standards of achieving the contemporary décor look, one should stick to some fundamentals to ensure you get a perfect look.
The contemporary décor applies neutral colors in its style. This means that black, grey and white are the main colors you can expect when looking for this décor. These colors give the feeling of minimalism in any given space. If bold Colours are used in a given space, the neutrals should be applied in the rest of the space to achieve the complete feel of contemporary.
Space and Lines
The contemporary décor look is very minimalistic. The use of geometric shapes and objects further enhances this look. One should consider the architectural structure of the space they want to apply this décor. Each decoration item generally stands on its own to tell a unique story.
For the contemporary look, the selection of the right furniture pieces is important. The pieces should bear neutral Colours and have a smooth look and feel. Fabrics, such as wool and cotton give furniture a natural look and should thus be considered.
To further complete the contemporary décor feel in a space, a few accessories may be considered;
- Metal, stone and glass go very well with this style. If they appear too cold, you can always incorporate rugs and fluffy pillows to soften the feel.
- One can use specific spot lights to bring attention to specific pieces of the décor.
- Flowers can be placed in large pots for a dramatic feel.
The use of contemporary décor is evolutionary and allows a given space to have a sophisticated look with a hint of warmth. It is a style to be considered depending on an individual’s personality.